In GES it is our conviction that education through sports can be instrumental in bringing about many of those values that are essential for human beings to master when rebuilding and developing a civil society that has been in a state of war.
To mention some of those values : cooperation, tolerance, community spirit, respect for rules, organizing, net-working, human rights, mental and physical health, and the possibility of each individual’s active influence and participation.
This is not to say that sports are unconditionally positive and rewarding to the human being. However, we believe that when used properly there is a great potential for sports as a tool for teaching values and education. Based on Global EduSport’s value foundation and approach with regard to development work in Kabul, Afghanistan, we use sports as a tool to:
- Make people happy and rich in experiences that give hope for a better future. In GES we consider the value of sports itself as something very valuable, and we hope that our sports projects will spread happiness and bring about many smiles amongst the Afghan people.
- To promote the respect of the individual by creating equal possibilities for, admission to, and participation in sports activities. We work especially for street working children and youth who for the time being do not have access to this right. Furthermore, we work to obtain equal participation for girls and boys, which mean that sports-loving girls and female sports teachers are highly prioritized.
- To promote awareness about health, well-being, and body-consciousness, which creates respect for the value of your own body and other people’s bodies. This also promotes acceptance of sports with regard to women, in particular, in a Muslim context.
- Build a bridge between the different institutions as for example schools, children’s centers, Afghan NGO’s and sports unions, and thereby replace prejudices and barriers with cooperation and communication.
- To strengthen socializing, including tolerance, cooperation, communication, and community spirit. It is precisely with the social sphere that the group of street working children lacks common skills because they are used to fending for themselves and to fighting for resources.
- To promote the possibility of the individual to choose and to make decisions and to hereby have an influence on his or her own life. Through sports this is achieved by giving sports leaders as well as children and youth involved in sports choices and possibilities, so that they become more participatory and get a better understanding of democratic decision processes